If you looking out on how to write a compelling article/story that people will find interesting to read and even share to their friends via social media or otherwise, then just follow these tips.
1. Draft a sketch of your article
Even before you start writing any article, have the sketch or a mapping of the whole article. This is so to guide you as you write to ensure that you are on track and you leave nothing left unturned. Write your article title down, and outline the key areas or sub-headings of the article. You will be looking at these as you do the writing. This will help you relay your message naturally and easier than you would be struggling to do it without a guide.
2. Write an interesting and authoritative introduction.
The introduction of your article should be the first paragraph of your article. This is to where the readers always check on to decide whether or not to read the whole article. So you should focus on this part to make sure that they find a reason to read the article to the end. As you write, make sure to use a voice that will show you actually master the concepts and you want to impart it nicely to your audience. Let them know why they should care to read, and why this issue affects them. This is really helpful in capturing attention.
3. Use relevant graphics and images when writing your article to drive your points home
Researches have proven that active reading with use of images and graphics to explain key points have proven successful and many people find interesting to read. So when writing your article, be sure to include much relevant images to reinforce your article.
4. Article body and mapping
You probably have covered the article mapping during your sketch. There is really no fixed format for a good article as such. However, your article should be well mapped with bullets, numbered lists with good headings and subheadings with relevant explanations below them. Your reader might be looking for one subtopic that would solve their problem. So ensure that a person can quickly skim through your article and understand what it is all about even without reading the details.
5. Writing Style
You need to write using a certain style in order to achieve your goal.Depending on your goal, you will need to choose a suitable writing style.
There are four styles of writing:
- Expository – this is an article meant to explain a certain concept or process, for example, writing a receipt, how-to articles/blogs, scientific or business articles
- Descriptive – this is often fictional writing to describe things like nature, poetry, novels or plays
- Persuasive – this is an article that is written to persuade a reader about something. It could as well be a recommendation to a product or a service, an item review or even writing an advertisement
- Narrative – When an author writes in a narrative style, they are not just trying to impart information, they are trying to construct and communicate a story, complete with characters, conflict, and settings.
Maybe you think that this is my conclusion! Well, any article needs to have a conclusion. Depending on what you have been writing about. A decision, summary, or thanks for reading this, kindly share and come back for more. You need to choose on the signing out voice that will make the reader feel satisfied, inspired and well informed about what they were looking for.